Hi Clean Eaters!
As you may have heard (thanks to Instagram/Twitter), yesterday was “National Pancake Day,” naturally I think this is amazing because I eat pancakes (the protein base kind, about 2-3 days a week.) I just so happened to make a batch yesterday morning so I felt really on top of things when I realized that whoa! It’s #nationalpancakeday. Winning!
If you haven’t had protein pancakes, I feel for you. It must be a sad, overly carbie world that you live in 😜 (carbie just became a word). They are delicious, healthy, and as mentioned, packed with protein. I know some people are intimidated by a pancake that has little to no flour, but once you try them I’m sure you will agree, they make life just a little bit better.
I personally switch between non-flour and whole wheat flour protein pancakes. If I don’t make them from scratch I use Kodiak Cakes which are whole wheat flour based. There are instructions on the box for how to make the cakes, and you can always add ingredients to spice it up or add cool toppings!
Here is a basic recipe for made from scratch protein pancakes (with no flour/grains):
- 1 scoop Protein Powder of your choice (you can use any flavor you want but I usually stick with Vanilla or Chocolate and I use Perfect Fit Protein)
- 1/2 of a banana
- 1/4 cup egg white
- 1 TBS of Almond or Coconut Milk
- dash of cinnamon
- dash of stevia
- 1/2-1 TBS of ground flaxseed
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Add fruit if you wish (berries)
- Mash banana
- Add egg, and mix together
- Add protein and almond milk- then mix
- Add flax, stevia, vanilla extract and anything else you want and mix well
- Heat pan on med-hi to med-lo (depends on your stove), spray with coconut cooking spray or use oil.
- Spoon or pour mixture to about the size of a 4 inch round cake
- Cook several minutes until brown, flip and cook on the other side- if needed turn down heat and cook longer
- Top with 100% Maple Syrup (which ever grade you prefer), a spoonful of plain/vanilla greek yogurt and more berries. I’ve also topped them with almond or peanut butter!
As a warning, don’t expect them to come out perfectly the first few tries. It’s not the same consistency as regular pancakes, but the pay of is worth it! Hope you enjoy the protein pancake goodness as soon as possible!
Happy Hump Day!
-Beach Body Bliss🌴