I love the gym, and I absolutely love having a home gym, but is the frequency of your gym visits what determine if you are fit or not? I’ve jokingly called myself a “gym rat” because I’ve always been a gym goer but honestly I wouldn’t want to be known as one, because personally being a fit and active person means much more to me then getting in a bunch of sets.
Is there a certain description of what being fit or active is? If so what do you think that is? I don’t really have a definition, but I think there are certain things that fit and active people do. And I have things that I do to keep active… obviously working out is one of them but I think it’s so much more than just visiting the gym on the daily.
It’s really about moving more every day! And doing more activities that are fun and make you feel good!
I have a Fitbit Charge HR that helps me keep track of how much activity I’m getting. They say that active people should get 10k steps or more on a daily basis. So I aim for 10-12k, I usually surpass my goal unless it’s a rest day and then I usually don’t reach my goal.
Here are my top 11 ways to stay active throughout the day (that are mostly free) and can help you feel more fit and get in those Fitbit steps!
- Take the stairs! Give yourself enough time to use stairs rather than an elevator. My gym has 4 floors of parking, sometimes I park at the top on purpose!
- Park at the back of the lot (keeping night time safety in mind of course)
- Return the cart to the inside of the store rather than the outdoor cart return or the nearest curb
- Crank the tunes and Dance while you’re cooking/cleaning
- Take a dance or Zumba class (it feels less like a workout and more like a fun time!)
- Walk to the mail box rather than pulling up in your car while you’re out
- If you’re watching TV, do squats, crunches, and push-up etc when commercials come on
- Hike (you can also do “urban” hikes if you don’t want to travel long distances, most cities have options! Check your local parks and rec site)
- Grab your friends or kids and play basketball at a park. So much fun!
- Run up and down your stairs several times (if you have them) it’s an instant heart rate pick me up!
- Instead of trying to take all the groceries in on one trip, go back (I know it’s fun to see if you can do it in one trip, but let’s face it you’ve already proven you can 😂)
There are many more activities to add to the list but these are just the everyday things that you can do without adjusting your schedule or spending a lot of time or money.
-Beach Body Bliss 🍍