Have you figured out how much I love breakfast yet? If not, let me tell you It’s my absolute favorite. I’d rather eat breakfast than any other meal… in fact I eat breakfast foods most of the day, mostly because I admit that I don’t usually eat breakfast until about 10am. But still, I have no shame in my breakfast love! What is one of my favorite breakfast foods? French Toast… unfortunately it isn’t usually considered a “healthy” meal.
Or is it?
Well, in short, yes it can be. Firstly your bread choice is key. Are you using Texas Toast bread? White enriched bread? Maybe you are using a seemingly healthy bread that is high in fat and sodium (check those labels!) Today’s recipe calls for Ezekiel Bread. I use Ezekiel 4;9 (usually I use the low sodium kind, but they were out so I grabbed the regular.)
Healthy French Toast
The other important ingredient? Protein!
Ingredients & Directions:
- 2-3 egg whites, 1 whole egg (you can omit the whole egg if you prefer all whites)
- 1 TBS vanilla protein
- Several dashes of “pumpkin pie spice” (or plain cinnamon if you prefer)
- A splash of vanilla extract
- Fruit of choice
- Agave or Maple Syrup
- Cut Ezekiel bread in half
- Crack egg whites/egg into a bowl
- Add protein, cinnamon and vanilla- whisk well
- Dip the pieces (all sides) of bread one at a time and place in a heated pan with coconut oil
- Cook until golden brown on each side
- Arrange on plate, add fruit toppings (in addition to fruit pecans, almonds and walnuts and a spoonful of almond or greek yogurt are also great!) and drizzle with agave or maple syrup.
Then dive in and feel like you have indulged 😋
“You Can’t Be Sad
I’ll admit it’s not the same as regular french toast, but it’s delicious and if you love breakfast as much as me it’s a definite win. I couldn’t get away with eating pancakes, waffles and french toast as much as I do if I didn’t healthily them! (some day I’ll have to share the Nutella stuffed french toast I make when I’m not feeling the healthy vibes)
Hope you enjoy!
-Beach Body Bliss 🌴