Hello weekend, it’s so nice to see you again! Hope everyone had a great week, and is ready for some SaturYay, and Sunday Funday action 🎉
My son turns 18 in a few days, I’m sort of feeling every emotion known to woman because of it, but I’ve been trying to keep busy and not let my confused emotions get to me. Who knew I’d feel like this, I remember when he was a little guy and I thought it would be so exciting, and it is, but it’s also sad! hahaha
I mentioned a few posts back that I had made some pumpkin puree, I hate to bombard the internet with all things pumpkin but that’s where we are headed. I thought I’d start off slow, and with my favorite food group- smoothies (that’s a food group, right?). This is by far one of my favorite smoothies. So delicious!
But first you want to ask yourself, “should I use canned pumpkin, or fresh pumpkin?” That is the real question. I opted for fresh because I’m weird and like to spend my time on things like baking and pureeing. So if you want to save time, by all means use canned pumpkin (no pumpkin pie filling tho’!) In case you want to puree your own, I’ll explain that… it’s ridiculously easy and aside from baking time, it’s actually not very time consuming.
How to make Pumpkin Puree
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees
- Take your pumpkin and cut it down the middle (if the stem is long, snap/cut it off)
- Scoop out the goop and seeds and discard (you can roast the seeds if you like)
- Place some parchment paper on a cookie sheet, and place the pumpkin with the flesh down on the sheet
- Cook for 45-60 minutes (until easily pierced with a fork), it really depends on your oven and how big your pumpkin is, my last batch took a bit over 60 minutes (when pulled from the oven, the skin of the pumpkin will wrinkle if it’s done)
- Let the pumpkin cool, and then scoop out the flesh and put it in a container to store in the fridge. It will last about a week if stored properly
Now that we have the pumpkin puree out of the way, lets get to what actually matters. Pumpkin Pie Smoothie goodness!
Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
You can top with coconut milk whipped cream or regular whipped cream. I prefer mine without but it makes it look pretty! I prefer a stronger pumpkin flavor so I put in about 3/4 cup of puree, but if you like a more subtle flavor go with 1/2 cup.
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Almond Coconut Milk
- 1 Scoop Vanilla Protein
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1 Banana
- 1-1.5 TSP Honey (or sweetener of choice)
- 1/4 TSP Chia Seeds
- 1/2 TSP Pumpkin Pie Spice
- An extra dash of cinnamon
- About a Cup of Ice (more or less to desired consistency)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse until smooth and creamy
- Pour into desired glass
- Add another dash of cinnamon and nutmeg to the top
- Insert adorable straw and drink up!
My family is not about that pumpkin life, so they all thought I was crazy while I was whipping this up and taking photos, but once I offered them a taste they became pumpkin believers! All three of them were so surprised that it actually tasted good. Crazy to think someone might not consider pumpkins to be delicious.
Hope you enjoy, I drink at least one protein smoothie every day so this is an obvious variation for me. I’m going to try not to drink it too often because it’s only the middle of September 😜
What Pumpkin recipe is coming up next?
… check back to find out, I have at least 3 more! (A clue for the next feature: Breakfast)